So Why Aren’t You Losing Body Fat?
I’ve been a Personal Trainer in Geelong for 10 years now and have met many people along the way who have battled their whole life to lose body fat. As part of the consultation process, we will sit down with someone who is interested in Personal Training or a similar program, and we ask them how many attempts they have made to try and lose weight.
Did you know? Most people will make anywhere between 10-20 attempts of trying to get to a healthy weight range but struggle to get there AND maintain it!
So, what are some of the key principles to losing body fat for good???
There are 2 contributing factors to any goal and they are: knowledge of what to do, and application.
Let’s talk first about knowledge of what to do when it comes to losing body fat.
There are number of things that we should be doing to ensure our body’s are burning fat.
Firstly, understanding that we have excess fat that can be converted into energy and then be ‘burnt off’, by the body.
So how can we do this?
Here are some principles and tips:
- Put less energy (calories) in your body than what your body is using, so then your body will instead rely on using fat within your body as an energy source. (Ie. eat less calories than you burn during the day).
- Keep your blood sugar levels stabilised, so that you maintain a ‘fat burning zone’ in your metabolism. This can be done by eating foods that don’t spike your blood sugars, so no lollies, chocolate, products with white flour, potatoes, soft drinks etc.
- Instead, eat foods that will stabilise blood sugar levels, such as veggies, beans, fruits, wholegrains, nuts and seeds.
- Spend a good chunk of the day fasting. It is preferable to aim to have 12-14 hours of no food between dinner and breakfast, just water and tea during that time. This is a great opportunity for your body to produce a hormone called glucagon which is a great fat burning hormone!
- Do a combination of high intensity/low intensity cardio to burn calories during and after exercise, and do weight training to build muscle, which will boost your metabolic rate.
If you need some extra help with the exercise or nutrition side of things and want that extra accountability and a personalised plan, then inquire today about Fit For Living’s Personal Training packages.
So, you’ve just discovered some of the main points to what needs to be done to burn fat, but the key is actually applying these things and this is where most people fail!
So how do you nail application, if you are someone that struggles?
- First of all, be clear in your mind about why you want to lose fat in the first place. Is it because you want to look good for your partner?? Is it because you don’t want to put yourself at risk of an obesity related disease? Whatever it is, be really clear on it.
- Second of all, put together a plan on how you are going to achieve your goal! Will you be preparing your meals for the week on a Sunday? What will you have in your meals? Will you exercise at home or in a gym, or hire a personal trainer?
So become focused and clear on what the pathway is to your goal, find a way to measure your success and set a time-frame to achieve it.
I hope that has helped you a little on how you can achieve maximum fat loss, and has answered why you may not be losing fat.
Dedicate to your health,